There’s not much time left to plan for Mother’s Day, but what most moms really want is your time, not your money! Here are some ways to spend time with a mom this weekend while indulging her interests.
- Offer to spend an hour or two giving her birdfeeders and birdbaths a thorough cleaning. Clean feeders mean healthy birds, but it can be a pain to get into all the nooks and crannies and get them really clean. Get cleaning tips from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology here.
- Grab some binoculars and take her for a birding walk through a local park or botanical garden. Many places have barrier-free nature trails, so even moms with mobility issues can enjoy the fun. Try this site to find birding hotspots in your area.
- If you’re more comfortable with technology than your mom, help her learn to use internet birding sites or smartphone apps so she can identify the birds she sees. Some of our favorite sites include All About Birds and WhatBird.com.
- Every gardener would love some help in their garden. Give your mom an hour or two with your hands in the dirt, accomplishing springtime chores. Build a raised bed, plant spring annuals, sow seeds for a vegetable garden, or just pull weeds – your mom will be grateful!
- Visit a local botanical garden together to see gorgeous blooms. Many of these are free or have minimal entrance fees. Find a fairly comprehensive list of gardens and arboretums here.
- Love photography? Get out in your mom’s garden and capture amazing shots of her springtime blooms. Download them to your mom’s computer and set them up as her wallpaper or screen saver.
How will you let your mom know your love her this weekend? Share with us in the comments!