Do you like to find uses for things that you would normally discard?
How about recycling used cans and using them as planters?
They is a very easy DIY project.
Simply peel off the paper of your can or keep it on, if you like the label (I think that basil planted in a tomato sauce container is just perfect).
1. Using an awl (or Phillips head screwdriver) and hammer; make 4 – 5 holes for drainage on the bottom of the can.
2. Fill with planting mix (not potting soil).
3. Add your plants and slow-release fertilizer.
4. Water well and place in a bright, sunny window.
5. Add a small saucer for any water that drains out, or if your tin can came with a lid – simply put it on the bottom.
6. Decorate them if you like with paint, ribbon, etc., if desired.
7. ENJOY harvesting fresh herbs and greens from your recycled containers!
For more DIY ideas for your garden, check out Birds & Blooms article – “Ten Garden Bargains”